We have reached a critical juncture in the legislative process and we need your help! If you feel so moved, please contact the legislators below and let them know how important the FATHER Project is to families across Minnesota! We also have active posts on social media today (Facebook, Twitter) that could use your “likes” and “shares”. Please share this effort with your networks.
Call the officials below, or paste this message into your email to them:
As you consider jobs-related investments, please include FATHER Project funding in the Jobs Finance bill agreement. Low-income fathers are often overlooked as part of the financial and emotional solution to many of our most fragile families. An investment in employment training and parenting for dads — through proven programs like Goodwill-Easter Seals’ FATHER Project and their partners across the state — will pay big dividends in better life outcomes for low-income children.
Jobs conference committee members from the Minnesota House and Senate are meeting this week to determine what legislation should be passed on to Governor Dayton. It's time to let lawmakers know that dads are an important part of creating stable families.
Helping fathers secure employment, advance in careers, complete their education, make child support payments and learn to be engaged parents are all valuable ways in which the FATHER Project helps to stabilize families and increase life outcomes for their children.
Please take a moment to contact legislators on the conference committee and ask them to include fathers in the final jobs bill agreement.
Defend Your Right to Be a Father to Your Child
All children deserve the care and love of a mother and a father in their lives. If you are a father who seeks primary custody of your own children, you should not be deterred by gender stereotypes, or by a presumption that their mother has more rights than you do.
Moreover, regardless of the court's ultimate decision on custody arrangements, you should vigorously assert your rights to share in the decision-making for the health, care, and well-being of your children. Insist on your need to spend meaningful time with your children. Your unbundled attorney will help you make the best argument to the court for why you, as the father, play a critical role in providing a safe, stable, and healthy environment for the children.
Fathers are Important
- A loving father is the best predictor of the level of compassion a child will develop.
- Having a stable father is associated with greater confidence in children.
- Children with involved, caring fathers have better educational outcomes.
- Kids with caring fathers tend to be more emotionally secure and stable.
- A loving father is associated with lower levels of violence and greater respect for women, in boys.
- A loving father is associated with self-worth and virtue that leads to less sexualization of young girls.
- Fathers are associated with increased relationship success levels in children as they mature into adulthood.